the temptation is always to reduce it to size. a bowl of cherries. a rat race. amino acids. even to call it a mystery smacks of reductionism. it is the mystery. as far as anybody seems to know, the vast majority of things in the universe do not have whatever life is. sticks, stones, stars, space – they simply are. a few things are and are somehow alive to it. they have broken through into something, or something has broken through into them. even a jellyfish, a butternut squash. they’re in it with us. we’re all in it together, or it in us. life is it. life is with. after lecturing learnedly on miracles, a great theologian was asked to give a specific example of one. “there is only one miracle”, he answered. “it is life”. have you ever wept at anything during the past year? has your heart beat faster at the sight of young beauty? have you thought seriously about the fact that someday you are going to die? more often than not, do you really listen when people are speaking to you instead of just waiting for your turn to speak? is there anybody you know in whose place, if one of you had to suffer great pain, you would volunteer yourself? if your answer to all or most of these questions is no, the chances are that you’re dead.
- Can we teach them not to eat humans? K thx. 🙌🏼 twitter.com/sharkweek/stat… 9 hours ago
- @brandonhilliard Those square toes tho. 9 hours ago
- RT @austinkleon: For a new national anthem I nominate Whitney Houston’s “Didn't We Almost Have It All?” 9 hours ago
- RT @StephenAtHome: Sessions is "amazed" an "island in the Pacific" judge can block the travel ban. Just like how I'm "bewildered" a "racist… 3 months ago
- Daydreaming about warmer weather and beach days with awesome people. #surf #sanpancho https://t.co/uM49zop0I9 3 months ago
- a better tomorrow als ampersand animation armsrock art autumn story berlin black cab sessions Bruce Mau chair chalk animation charles and ray eames charles wilkin cool kids creative design documentary eames fauxreel studios firekites foodie food inc forest city lovers for print only found typography freelance whales freestyle friends of type gotazkaen herman miller Highsnobiety hip hop homeless house industries hunger Incomplete Manifesto ISO50 jr kenya kexp king corn letterpress michael pollan mouthful of diamonds music Music Monday music video new year ninja vs penguin obey giant omnivore's dilemma paper magazine patrick o'brien patrick o'brien foundation pedestrian phantogram photography poster qbn rap real change rebranding america robert kenner Seattle shepard fairey sink hole of repetition song for morrie Style sunday afternoon surfing taxi cab typographic poster typography Vans